Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Apple Cinnamon Rolls

Poorly lit kitchen strikes again
Hi. What's this? Another cinnamon roll recipe? Yeah, sorry. I love them to death. Also, where have I been for the last few months? I don't know. Death by undergrad...which I finished. Thank God. Planning a wedding (I said yes to the dress, and cried). Working two jobs which were equal parts rewarding and draining. Trying to enjoy my last semester of undergrad with the people who supported me along the way.

More recently: handling a bizarre and unpleasant turn of events that left me jobless post-graduation. After handling the aforementioned turn of events, I really just haven't felt so good, mentally or physically. Once I finished crying (change is really hard for me), I attacked the job hunt, trying to figure out what the hell you do with a BS in psychology. I have a couple things going, but let's wait until the ink is totally dry until we talk about them.

Dough is calming. Especially the proofing stage. I love.
Quick anecdote: In the process of making these, I somehow touched the heating element of the oven, which I don't recommend. That was quite awhile ago and I finally have all my fingerprints back. Yay.

In other news: I'm applying to medical school, which is weird and daunting but also fun. I've started having weekly brunches at my apartment because honestly, friends, pancakes, and good coffee are better medicine than anything else I've found. Stuff hurts, change is hard, but I think my goal shouldn't be to force joy, but to love the people I care about as deeply as I can and to find the happiness in the time I have with them. Easier said than done? Sure. But cinnamon rolls help.



Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients
rolls (adapted from Joy the Baker)
1/4 oz yeast (this is the amount in the little packets)
1/2 tsp +1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk (higher fat content=better)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 yolk
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter

filling
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 green apples, diced
dash of salt (unless you're using salted butter)

glaze (only if you reallllllyyyyy have a sweet tooth)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
  1. Start the dough by adding 1/4 cup warm water to the 1/2 tsp sugar and yeast. Let sit until foamy, about 15 minutes. If it doesn't foam, your yeast has issues.
  2. Add the remaining sugar, milk, brown sugar, egg, and yolk. Stir until combined.
  3. If you have an electric mixer (I'm jealous), fit it with a dough hook and add the flour half a cup at a time. If not, still add it only half a cup at a time, and use your muscles to smooth it out after each addition.
  4. Let rise for 2 hours. In the last half hour of the rise, make the filling.
  5. For the filling, melt the butter and combine with remaining ingredients, other than the apples.
  6. When the rise is complete, dump out of the bowl onto a floured surface. It should be fairly fluffy. Gently roll out into a rectangle.
  7. Spread filling on top of the rectangle, then sprinkle on the diced apples.
  8. Carefully roll up the dough into a tight tube, then slice with a sharp knife. I got 8 rolls.
  9. Place in buttered pans, then allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
  10. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  11. For the glaze, whisk together the sugar and milk. Pour over hot rolls. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment