Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Bacon and Egg Bake

The alternate title to this post would be "Fairly Serious and Reflective Stuff Sandwiched in Between Pictures of Food", but that doesn't quite roll off the tongue, so you get the above instead.



I recently switched my major from biochemistry to psychology. This has been a huge change, and heartbreaking and wonderful and terrifying and exciting....all at the same time. In the words of one of my residents, "You walked away from a major that you were 85% done with halfway through your junior year?" Yes. I did. And yes, I'll still graduate on time, and yes, I understand that this sounds like a dumb decision. Yes, I did only have two classes and two labs left to complete my biochem degree. But I just couldn't do that anymore.



I am, in so many ways, a goal-oriented, type A, perfectionist. Being honest enough with myself to recognize that the goal I'd been working so hard on for so many semesters just wasn't for me was a truly painful process. I don't quit things. I never have. I don't give up, and I push myself as hard as I can. Finding the courage to admit, to myself at first and later to others, that studying biochemistry just wasn't making me happy was by no means easy. Finding the courage to walk away from it was even harder.



But here's the thing, the truth of the matter, just the facts: biochem was making me miserable. Plain and simple. And a couple of people have asked which class did it for me, pushed me into actually switching. The answer? There wasn't a class. This wasn't about a class. This wasn't a spontaneous decision. This was the realization that I'd been hating my classes for about two years and had been hoping that a semester would come where it would all click and be fun again. But that semester didn't come. 



Yes, biochem is difficult. The classes I was taking were difficult. The classes I'm taking now are easier. But here's the gospel truth: I am happier already, not because I know the classes will be easier, but because for the first time in a very long time I am excited to learn about the subjects I'm studying. I look at my schedule for the semester and get excited, not anxious. And that means the world to me. So here's some eggs. They're like me: scrambled, but I like to think they're still pretty good.

Bacon and Egg Bake
Ingredients
1 tube crescent rolls (8 count)
6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
6 eggs
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp fresh basil, torn into little pieces
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Unroll the crescent roll dough, but don't tear the perforations. Lay it in the bottom of a 9X9 in. pan (spray with nonstick spray if it's not nonstick already). You'll have to fold the dough into shape, or I just ripped it into sections of two little triangles and layered them the way I wanted. Press down with your fingers to sort of flatten it out, but don't get hung up on that.
  2. Sprinkle the bacon crumbles on top.
  3. Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add a splash (about 2 tbsp) or water or milk. Add the cheese, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix with either a whisk or fork, making sure to mix quickly, incorporating air. Pour into pan.
  4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment