Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I'm Actually a 50s Housewife

Meatloaf is one of those things that's so annoyingly middle class, white, suburban America, that it immediately makes me feel like I need to be wearing an apron, pearls, and heels while making it. Naturally, I wore none of those things and instead was rocking yoga pants and a hoodie. Also bare feet. I'm classy in my own way. Anyways.

I'm willing to admit in advance that the picture at the end of this post isn't the prettiest, but um, have you ever tried to make meatloaf pretty? It's not pretty food. It honestly doesn't even sound pretty. I know all of these things. But trust me. This is easy and there's nothing about it that's gross. Just your classic, simple American food. It also lends itself well to new flavors. Want Italian meatloaf? Substitute tomato sauce for ketchup and add Italian seasoning. Add jalapenos for spice or bacon just because. This is good stuff, my loves.

Meatloaf and Roasted Green Beans
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

green beans
1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
salt and pepper

  1. Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl by mashing. Press into a loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes to an hour.
  2. Put the green beans on a baking sheet. Pour oil and garlic over, then massage, making sure all the beans have some of both. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment