For anyone who wants a laugh, you should've seen my snapchats while attempting to make rice. I was prepping it ahead so I could make this for dinner because yum. Buuuut here's the issue: I have control issues. Rice requires that you bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, put a lid on it, and then WALK AWAY. For like an hour. You have to just WALK AWAY, ignoring your precious rice and just trusting that it will grow up and become rice. This is not something that I excel at.
So yeah. These burrito bowls have quinoa instead, because quite frankly I like it better, it doesn't take as long, and it doesn't stress me out as much. So much better. Also I think it might be healthier? Or maybe that's just me. Next time you want to tell me I'm a good cook, please just remember that rice stresses me out to no end. Anyway.
Honestly, you could just forego the quinoa and chicken altogether and eat the guac and pico with chips. But um, that might ruin the nice, healthy, balanced vibe we're going for. And you need the protein. Or, um, I do. So yeah, make the chicken and quinoa. Then just stir it all together. Or I guess if you like stuff better separate, you can leave it like that, but.....I'll think you're a little weird. Sorry.
Quinoa Burrito Bowls
store bought or this recipe
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced
2 ears of corn, cut off the cob
1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of one lime
salt to taste
1.5 lbs chicken cutlets
1 can chipotles in adobo
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp honey
2 cups quinoa, cooked (I cooked mine in vegetable broth but that isn't mandatory)
1 tbsp butter
- Make the guac, unless you're using store bought.
- Make the pico by combining all ingredients in a bowl and gently mixing. Cover and put in fridge while you make everything else.
- Prepare the chicken by seasoning with the cumin, then pour on the adobo sauce and some of the chipotle peppers, chopped. Drizzle on honey, then turn the cutlets a couple of times to totally coat. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Add the chicken to a pan over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, then quickly slice.
- Mix the hot quinoa with the butter.
- Serve in your preferred ratio, and enjoy with tortilla chips or just a fork.