So. The Superbowl is happening. To be honest, I didn't even know it was this weekend until like Thursday. I certainly don't know who's playing. All that aside, this burger has some great stuff, and if we're all being honest, I'm pretty sure food is the best part of a Superbowl party. So make these.
What's that in there? Thanks for asking. It's southwest flavored butter. Where did this idea come from? Well.....I've been watching a lot of Diners Drive-Ins & Dives lately. It's always on while I'm making dinner. Turns out there's a restaurant somewhere out there that makes burgers stuffed with butter. I thought this seemed cool, and decided to give it a southwest twist. So I flavored the butter and topped them with queso, crushed tortilla chips, and guacamole. What could be wrong with that?
I highly recommend these for game day. Or any other day, to be honest.
Southwest Butter Burgers
1 lb ground beef
tortilla chips, crushed
I used How Sweet's recipe, which is here
use my recipe, and add about 1/2 cup black beans (canned)
1 stick salted butter, softened
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 a lime
- Using a fork, mash the other ingredients into the butter. Remove about 3/4 from the bowl, place onto plastic wrap. Gently roll into a log shape, then put into fridge. The rest can remain in the bowl at room temperature.
- Make the queso and guac.
- Shape the patties. Form a well in the center of each. Slice a medallion from the chilled butter log, and place in the well, like in the picture above. Reform the patty around the butter.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Spread southwest butter on either half of a bun. Toast butter side down for about a minute or two, until the bun is toasted to your liking, then remove.
- Add the patties to the pan, cook about 5 minutes on the first side, flip, then 3 minutes on the second. Place on the bun.
- Top with queso, then guacamole. Crush some tortilla chips, then add to the top of the burger. Close the bun and enjoy.