Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Harvest Pie

Guys, orange food is harrrrrd to photograph. Because no matter how pretty and rustic that sweet potato looked in person....the photos just look too bright and neon to me.



Oh well I guess. It's also not the right time of year for something harvest-y, but I guess I don't care about that either. This is yummy, I promise. Don't let my blase attitude fool you.


I'm pretty sure it counts as healthy, too. It's low carb and sweet potatoes are soooo good for you. So I'm counting it. It's a nice contrast to a lot of the sugar and butter that's becoming the norm around here. That being said, unlike many (unfortunate) healthy foods, this stuff is hearty. Think Shepherd's pie, only with chicken. And curry. And sweet potatoes.

Essentially, my goal in life (or one of my goals, anyway) is to crank out delicious food. If it happens to be healthy, that's a bonus. Today we met the goal, and got the bonus.

Harvest Pie
Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 lb ground chicken
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 can corn
1/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp salted butter
3 tbsp milk
  1. Add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat, and cook the onions for 3 minutes, then add garlic. Cook another minute, then add the chicken. Season with curry and salt, then stir, taking care to break up the chicken. Cook another 5 minutes or so, until no more pink remains.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add corn and cranberries. Simmer another 5 minutes. Pour into a casserole dish.
  3. Meanwhile, add the potato to a pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil until potato is fork tender.
  4. Once cooked, drain the potato and mash, adding the butter and milk.
  5. Using a fork, add the potato to the top of the casserole dish, smoothing carefully.
  6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment