Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

As American As...


Being my friend is sort of weird and also sort of fun (I hope). You end up getting texts asking "hey, do you like {insert whatever thing I made way too much of}?" and then if you say yes, I appear at your apartment with whatever the thing is. Or I invite you to come over and eat with me. Because the fact of the matter is, I love cooking, I love food. But I don't eat enough to finish whatever the thing is usually. So I cook, I eat my portion, then I text people and give them my food. What a time to be alive.



Does apple pie smell like autumn to anyone else? As soon as I started peeling apples and sprinkling cinnamon, it was like the spirit of autumn had entered the kitchen and joined me.



While it was in the oven, I felt so cozy and warm. Apple pie is a gift, friends. Give it to yourself. You deserve it.

As for that crust? I bought one. I feel a little guilty, considering that I can make a homemade crust. But I didn't have the time or desire or materials. So instead I bought one. Don't hate me. Use any crust recipe you want, or buy one like I did.

Apple Pie
Ingredients
1 pie crust (like a top and bottom one)
4 Granny Smith apples (about a pound)
1 2/3 cups sugar + 1 tbsp
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour
juice of one lemon
2 tbsp milk

  1. Peel the apples and slice them thinly.
  2. Place in a bowl and add the 1 2/3 cups of sugar, cinnamon, flour and lemon juice. Stir gently until apples are coated. Let sit for ten minutes.
  3. Put filling into crust. Add top crust.
  4. Slice vents into the crust. Brush with milk and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top.
  5. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment