Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Spicy & Salty Potato Salad

It's so good
Need a side dish for a barbecue? Are those over? I really hope not because that would mean summer is over and my classes only JUST ended so that would be a problem. 

Potato salad is something every occasion involving grilled food needs. It's cool and refreshing. However, I eat a lot of potato salad that's....lacking. Sometimes it's too sweet, sometimes it's bland, sometimes it's swimming in a pool of mayo. Ugh. Fear not, this recipe is not that. There is mayo, but it's used sparingly, and this is anything BUT bland or sweet. I like my potato salad savory.


I like using red potatoes because they're pretty and also the peels tend to be thinner. I'm one of those people that doesn't peel my potatoes for potato salad because that's tedious and the peels don't bother me. You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you want.

Alllllll the flavors
As you can see above, I like to add lots of stuff. Nothing (at least in my opinion???) is too un-traditional, but oh my gosh it's good together. I also threw in sriracha. The amount suggested makes a potato salad with a little kick. That being said, I have a pretty high spicy tolerance, so take that with a grain of salt.

Sweet & Spicy Potato Salad
Ingredients
7 red potatoes (or about 7 cups), cubed
2/3 cup mayonnaise (you might need a little more)
2 ribs of celery, chopped (or about 1/4 cup)
1/8 cup red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 tbsp sriracha (add more or less depending on your spicy tolerance)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Emeril's Essence (mentioned in the guac post)


  1. Add the cubed potatoes to a pot of water, place over high heat. Add a dash of salt to the water, then boil until the potatoes are soft enough to easily stick a fork into. Remove from heat, drain, and allow them to cool.
  2. Once the potatoes are only slightly warm (NOT HOT), add the other ingredients and mix, without breaking up the potatoes.
  3. You can either refrigerate until cold or serve lukewarm. I like it both ways. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment